Are you a fitness fanatic who needs to have some form of exercise? Lucky for you, the recent trend in the country has seen a number of well equipped gyms coming up. On the contrary if you’re one of those people who prefer a good jog or even cycling, with the recent developments within the city, there are a number of locations that you can use for this purpose.
Sports and Fitness
These offer a varying range of sports facilities, such as swimming, cricket, tennis, basketball, netball, squash and many more. Occasionally some of them also offer other recreational activities and classes such as social dancing, zumba, etc. (These activities may be offered with an additional fee being charged at at times may be available for non-members as well)
Apart from being used for sports facilities, these clubs are also used for a relaxing evening to catch up with family and friends. Since most of them consist of a pub and restaurant it provides the surrounding to sit back and relax whilst sipping a drink and enjoying a
These facilities are exclusively available to subscribed members and their guests.
Listed below are some of the famous Sports Centres in Colombo:
- Austasia Sports
- Sinhalese Sports Club
- Colombo Swimming Club
- Gymkhana Club
- Ceylonese Rugby and Football Club (CR & FC)
Cricket is by far the most popular sport in Sri Lanka and International Cricket matches are a time for frenzy in Sri Lanka. Even the pubs and many sports clubs telecast these matches in a typical cricket match environment. Sri Lanka has hosted many International Cricket tournaments, including the recently concluded T20 World Cup. In addition to International Cricket, the domestic Inter-club and Inter-provincial tournaments and the Sri Lankan Premier League provide entertainment to the cricket enthusiast. Equally important are the Inter-School cricket matches, culminating in the “Big Match Season” in March every year.
In addition to Cricket, Rugby is also quite popular among Sri Lankan sports fans. The Inter-Club and Inter-School fixtures in the domestic circuit and International Rugby Sevens’ Tournaments such as the Carlton 7’s are featured prominently in the annual Rugby calendar.
The Fox Hill Super Cross, Pannala races, etc are some of Sri Lanka’s popular sporting events.
There are many in the island that are well equipped with ancillary equipment and gym instructors who assist in setting up and achieving targets. Additionally they also conduct workout classes like aerobics, zumba, kick boxing at scheduled times. The links below list some of the popular gyms around Colombo.
Hiking & Trekking
- Sinharaja Rain Forest: A world recognized biodiversity hotspot, the Sinharaja forest is home to many flora and fauna. The forest is famous for its narrow trails through dense vegetation, endemic trees, insects, amphibians and birds.
- Horton Plains: Covering a region of more than 12 square miles, the Horton Plains is one of Sri Lanka’s largest national parks. It is home to many mammals such as the Sri Lankan Sambar deer, the Sri Lankan elephant, the wild boar, Mongooses, macaques, squirrels and the Sri Lankan Leopard. Its main plateau regions and the peaks of Thotupola, Kirigalpotha and World’s End are some of its famous areas for hiking and trekking.
- Knuckles Mountain Range : Located in the District of Matale, the Knuckles mountain range gets its name from its peaks which resemble a clenched fist.
It is considered to be a region rich in biodiversity and the forests in the higher elevations harbor insects and plants that are probably found nowhere else in the world.
The Mountain range has a reputation for tough hiking routes.
Other Places for Hiking/ Trekking
- Adam’s Peak
- Belihul Oya
- Namunukula Mountain Range
Parks & Sites for Recreation
If you are a person who enjoys jogging or a simple relaxing evening stroll, the recent parks that have been opened with the development in Colombo will be surely attract you.
Jogging tracks are available in most of these parks for those who opt to jog. Some of them also have cycling tracks and bicycles can be rented at these parks for a small sum.
If not you can always sit and relax on a bench and enjoy a refreshing evening in the park.
Colombo & Suburbs:
- Independence Square
- Galle Face Green
- Board Walk at Water’s Edge
- Nugegoda Wetlands
- Viharamahadevi Park
- Outside Colombo:
- Peradeniya Botanical Gardens, Kandy
- Kandy Lake, Kandy
- Gregory’s Lake Walk, Nuwara-eliya
- Nuwara-eliya Botanical Gardens, Nuwara-eliya
For further details on leisure and recreational activities available in Sri Lanka please visit :